The buzz word for 2019 has been “Machine Learning”, we saw a lot of different plugin manufacturers adding artificial intelligence in their products.
iZotope has just announced their new mastering suite, Ozone 9. iZotope has been in the forefront of adding artificial intelligence so there’s a lot of high expectations for the new Ozone 9 plugin.
The first Ozone plugin was released 17 years ago and iZotope has always been upgrading and adding new tools to this mastering suite.
Is iZotope Ozone 9 the Future of Mastering?
This new plugin promises to skyrocket your audio mastering workflow with machine learning.
Regardless of your experience level, the new Master Assistance is designed to give you an intelligently starting point that is tailored to the music that you’re currently working on.
It now features a brand-new Vintage mode. So, now you have 2 different modes to choose from. The modern mode gives you a much cleaner and transparent sound.
The vintage mode gives you a much warmer and fuller sound that you get from working with analog gear. It comes with a Vintage EQ, Vintage Compressor, and Vintage Limiter to help get an analog-style master.
Master Assistant also allows you to import your own reference song and then it will try to get your song to sound like the reference, which is totally mind-blowing.
You can also choose to get the song mastered for streaming services or CD. When Master Assistant is finished, you can either Accept or Cancel the changes.
Find Your (Tonal) Balance
One of the most difficult tasks when mixing or mastering music is getting your song to have a well-balanced frequency response from lows, mids up to the high frequencies.
Getting the right tonal balance is very important to ensure that your final masters can translate well across a variety of playback systems, and this is where iZotope Tonal Balance comes in handy.
Tonal Balance provides context and direction for resolving issues with a mix or master, helping you achieve professional radio-ready material.
This time, iZotope has upgraded tonal balance with new features such as genre specific targets and you can control the EQ of Ozone, Neutron, Nectar and Relay alongside the gain of those plugins. Controlling gain over EQ allows you to alter your tonal balance without incurring the artifacts of EQ.
With just a few moves in Tonal Balance Control, you can make a positive change to the overall energy of your mix or master.
NKS simply stand for “Native Kontrol Standard”. If you use Native Instrument Maschine or Komplete then you should be familiar with NKS.
NKS support gives you the power of Ozone 9 and lets you master while making music with NI Maschine or Komplete Kontrol. You can open Ozone on the fly and start improving your productions without touching your DAW.
Everything from loudness, width, compression and EQ is done inside your controller to keep your creative juices flowing.
Ozone Low End Focus
The Low End Focus module is designed to increase clarity, minimize muddiness and fix common low end problems that are caused by traditional tools such as EQ and Dynamics.
It can operate both in stereo and mid/side modes to give you more flexibility. This module focuses on the frequency range from 20Hz up to 300Hz. A lot of elements can clash in this frequency range.
With Low End Focus, you can control what’s in focus by either preserving the most prominent spectral content and lowering the less prominent content, or by bringing both extremes closer together for your low end.
No EQ or compressor can handle or do what Low End Focus can do. It is a first-of-its-kind tool, it’s capable of conveying clarity, presence, and contrast into the toughest of audio mixes.
With Master Rebalance you can adjust volume on drums, bass, or vocals in ANY audio track, even on a stereo bounce.
This is one of those modules that will definitely come in handy if you’re working on a client’s song and feel like the song needs more bass or if the vocals need to be more upfront and in your face.
It gives you the ability to correct and change the levels of instruments without needing the original tracks or going back to the mix.
A well-balanced mix makes any mastering engineer’s job easier and with Master Rebalance, you can nudge your sound in the right direction.
Full List of Features
- Tonal Balance Control – Finalize and fine tune your master in any listening environment using target curves for different genres.
- NKS Support – Put the power of Ozone into your creative process and master while making music with Maschine or Komplete Kontrol.
- Master Rebalance – Adjust volume on drums, bass, or vocals in ANY audio track, even a bounced mix.
- Low End Focus – Get clear and punchy low frequencies and avoid artifacts from EQ and compression.
- Imager – Add natural stereo width to narrow mixes with an upgraded “Stereoize” mode.
- Equalizer – Control the finest details of your sound with fluid metering and new HUD controls.
- Track Referencing – Seamlessly compare your mix with a reference track at the touch of a button.
- Maximizer – Make mixes LOUD while preserving dynamics with Ozone’s intelligent limiter.
- Spectral Shaper – Add instant polish and remove harshness with spectral shaping technology.
- Dynamic EQ – Make EQ boosts and cuts that respond to the dynamics of your audio
- Exciter – Mix and match between seven different types of distortion to add warmth and character
- Dynamics – The mastering engineer’s most versatile tool. Tame dynamic mixes and give your tracks energy.
- Vintage Tape – Introduce rich saturation with all the frequency coloration, distortion, and phase effects of tape.
- Vintage Limiter – Glue a mix together and get loud, pumping tracks using Vintage Limiter.
- Vintage EQ – Brighten your master, smooth out heavy low end, and add body to your digital recordings.
- Vintage Compressor – Add colorful dynamics with compression modeled after famous mastering hardware.
- CODEC Preview – Hear how your mix sounds as an MP3 or AAC at different resolutions.
- Dither – For when you’re ready to export, Ozone’s extensive suite of dithering options help you ensure no audible loss of audio quality.
Mac: OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion–macOS 10.14 Mojave
PC: Win 7–Win 10
AAX (64–bit), AU, RTAS (32–bit), VST, VST3
Ableton Live 9–10, Cubase 9.5, Digital Performer 9, FL Studio 12, Logic Pro X, Nuendo 8, Pro Tools 10–12, Reaper 5, Reason 10, Studio One 3–4
After playing around with the new Ozone 9 I realized that it only gives you a great starting point, it doesn’t master the song for you. So, you do need to have some knowledge and experience in order to get the most out of this plugin.
It’s a great tool for beginners to learn about the art of mastering music. For professionals, it’s a good way to speed up your workflow and get some ideas that you wouldn’t even think about.
It is highly recommended and you can download it on the link below.
Start Your Free Trial: https://talkinmusic.com/ozone-9